Friday 18 October 2013

Jeannettes new fascination with fire.

As soon as Jeannette got home from the hosptial she started to cook hot dogs.
Instead of being afraid of fire, Jeannette became fascinated in it.

"Instead, I became fascinated with it. Dad also thought I should face down my enemy, and he showed me how to pass my finger through a candle flame. I did it over and over, slowing my finger with each pass, watching the way it seemed to cut the flame in half, testing to see how much my finger could endure without actually getting burned." 

She would try to involve herself in fire like things as much as she coud. When the neighbors would burn trash she would run over and watch, she would get closer and closer to the fire feeling the heat against her face until she was so close to the fire that it would become unbearable. She had gone behind the house and lit her favorite tinkerbell doll on fire on one half of the dolls body to show the doll what it felt like. Jeannette would steal matches from her dad, go behind her house and light the matches. Jeannette had said in the book;

"I loved the scratching sound of the match againsr the sandpapery brown strip when I struck it, and the way the flame leaped out of the red-brown strip when I struck it and the way the flame leaped out of the red coated tip with a pop and a hiss." .

What she reminds me of at this point is a type of person called a pyromania (someone who likes lighting things on fire).



Jeannette in front of the neighbors trash fire



No comments:

Post a Comment